Sunday, February 22, 2015

Interview with Audi Sport TT Cup driver Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky - Part 1


By Tarek Ramchani

Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky is a young and talented driver from Sweden. She has successfully competed in the Volkswagen Sicrocco R-Cup taking a great win in this demanding single make series. Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky will compete in the newly formed Audi Sport TT Cup this year.

We were pleased to have an interview with Mikaela Ahlin-Kottulinsky. A very interesting Q/A about her 2014 season in the Volkswagen Sicrocco R-Cup, her expectations for 2015 and more.

You can follow Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky racing news and updates on her official Facebook page, and her official Twitter account.

This is part one of the interview.


You had a great year in the Volkswagen Sicrocco R-Cup, tell us more about your 2014 season.

It started of quite tough for me, I really had to struggle with my mental attitude, how I looked at things that I wanted to happen, and that happened.

After a really bad race at Oschersleben, I told myself that my goal from thereon would be to do the best I could, no matter which place I placed myself in the race. What happen happens, and all I can do is my very own best.

So I did, tried to focus on being fully “there”, living in the moment, and the next race I won! After that I struggled with my qualifyings, and at the end of the season I found a method which was working for me.


You have been recently selected to compete in the newly formed Audi Sport TT Cup, tell us more about that.

165 persons from 20 countries applied for the Cup, and 18 persons were selected. So as you can see, it was hard and tough to get selected!

I am very happy and proud, to now get the chance to both work and drive with Audi. (I work as an Instructor for Audi driving experience) It will be driven as a support class to the DTM, in which will have 6 events together, each race weekend we’ll have 2 races.

What are the differences between the Volkswagen Scirocco R-Cup and the Audi Sport TT Cup?

They are quite similar in the “set up” regarding how many races, number of cars, push-to-pass, how the organisation is being built up (coaches and so on) and that we drive with the DTM.

The big difference I’m seeing already now (I haven’t tested the car, so can’t say anything about the difference there) is regarding marketing. Audi are really pushing for the Cup in the media, which of course is great!


How does the driving experience differ between the Volkswagen Scirocco R-Cup and the Audi Sport TT Cup?

I’d say it’s the same. Some drivers are really experienced, and some are completely new. Maybe a bigger part of the field has more experience than the other part.

The 2015 Audi Sport TT Cup field looks very competitive. Can the new series bring a new Kelvin van der Linde?

The goal from Audi Sport’s side is to find new talents, so I do absolutely think it will bring out new great drivers. Maybe I shouldn’t say bring out, maybe more “lighten up” great drivers that maybe didn’t get much attention before.

Like I said, Audi is really pushing this Cup with marketing, and I think that the series before didn’t enlighten the drivers like this.

Photo credit: Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky / Volkwagen Motorsport